ASEF Cultural Policy Dialogue Series
In the field of cultural policy, Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) aims to stimulate analysis and engagement that reflect current political debates in Asia and Europe, as well as demonstrate verifiable alignment with priorities of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM).
ASEF attends the biennial ASEM Culture Ministers’ Meetings (ASEM CMMs) and closely follows the discussions at these Ministerial meetings. Further, ASEF facilitates dialogue between civil experts and government officials on topics of mutual interest inspired by ASEM's cultural agenda. These dialogues take the form of Experts' Meetings and Public Fora and particularly emphasise the sharing of good practices from Asia and Europe. Experts' Meetings and Public Forums on cultural policy issues of common relevance have taken place in Hanoi, Viet Nam (2013), Yangon, Myanmar (2013), Yogyakarta, Indonesia (2012), Melbourne, Australia (2011), Seoul, Korea (2011) and Amsterdam, Netherlands (2010). The outcomes of ASEF Experts' Meetings - which take the form of policy recommendations and compilation of good practices - are subsequently channeled to ASEM governments through the ASEM CMMs. ASEF's role in supporting knowledge exhange between Asia and Europe has been consistently acknowledged in all Chairman's Statements of ASEM CMMs (Indonesia, 2012; Poland, 2010; Malaysia, 2008; France, 2005; China, 2003). In 2014, ASEF is an official partner of the 6th Asia-Europe Culture Ministers' Meeting (19-21 October, Netherlands).
ASEF supports research on arts and culture in ASEM countries through the WorldCP-International Database on Cultural Policies initiative, which aims to make such information comprehensive, up-to-date and publicly accessible. This research is also made available through ASEF's online arts portal, culture360.org and through the WorldCP website.
- To facilitate dialogue, knowledge exchange and networking between government officials and civil experts on topics inspired by ASEM's cultural agenda - current focus rests on creative industries, creative cities and heritage management; and,
- To promote research on arts and culture in Asia and Europe and build sustainable connections between the policy research communities in both regions.
- Roundtable on creative industries policies in Asia and Europe at EARS on Helsinki (5 September 2014, Helsinki, Finland)
- 7th ASEF Public Forum on Creative Industries in Asia and Europe: Enabling Crossovers (18 October 2014, Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Support to 22nd ENCATC Annual Conference "New Challenges for the Arts and Culture: Is it just about money? (17-19 September 2014, Brno, Czech Republic)
- Asia-Europe Network of Urban Heritage for Sustainable Creative Economies: Seminar (27 August 2014, New Delhi, India) & Conference (25-27 October 2014, New Delhi, India)
- Green Art Lab Alliance (GALA) Series: Artists Lab Symposium (1 September 2014, Maastricht, Netherlands), Mobility Lab-Stories of Change (15-30 September 2014, Oxford, UK), Julie's Bicycle Workshop @MOTA (8-11 November 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia)
- 7th ASEF Public Forum on Creative Industries in Asia & Europe: Enabling Crossovers
The recent Creative Economy Report 2013, published by UNESCO and UNDP, reaffirms the potential of the...
- 6th ASEF Experts’ Meeting & Public Forum: Creative Economy in Asia and Europe - Emerging Pillar of...
Creative and cultural industries are now widely acknowledged as dynamic sectors of the world economy...