The Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) and its partner the Ubud Writers & Readers Festival are now looking for submissions to Long Way Home, Asia-Europe Short Story Contest.
The theme of the Asia-Europe Short Story Contest is travel. In this framework, what is expected from writers is not travel writing but creative writing that uses the theme travel as the premise for a short fiction. It is of particular interest for ASEF to receive stories that highlight Asian perceptions of Europe and vice-versa . This competition seeks stories that give new perspectives on local culture, identities, and traditions in the context of contemporary societies and environments.
- Applicants must be a national of one of the following ASEM member countries: Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mongolia, Myanmar, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, the United Kingdom, Vietnam.
- All submissions have to be in English
- Only original works that have not been previously published will be accepted
- To be at least 18 years of age at the time of submission
- 700-800 words maximum
- Best short story from a European writer (SGD 1000 + travel and accommodation to attend the Ubud Writers & Readers Festival)
- Best short story from an Asian writer (SGD 1000 + travel and accommodation to attend the Ubud Writers & Readers Festival)
Deadline: 3 August 2013
ONLY ONE ENTRY PER PERSON WILL BE ACCEPTED
- Phase 1 (3-18 August 2013): Judging and shortlisting by prominent literary experts from Asia and Europe
- Phase 2 (19 August to 1 September 2013): the shortlisted stories will be voted online on culture360.org at http://culture360.org/short-story-contest/
Download Submission Guidelines
Download Application Form