The 15th ASEF ClassNet Conference (#ASEFClassNet15) took place from 25-29 November 2019 in Tokyo, Japan, a country that is globally recognised as a leading hub for the invention of AI based technologies and research. It focused on the theme, “Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and AI: The Role and Readiness of Teachers” and addressed 3 key questions:
- What roles do teachers need to play in classrooms to transform teaching and learning practices for ESD in the AI era?
- What level of knowledge on ESD and AI do teachers need to develop appropriate pedagogies?
- What kind of capacity building and partnership support do teachers need to integrate ESD meaningfully in the school curriculum and to enhance their readiness for the AI era?
The conference was co-organised in collaboration with Sophia University, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology – Japan and the United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS), with support from the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Development Education Association & Resource Center (DEAR), Ochanomizu University Senior High School and The Open University.
The ASEF ClassNet15 promoted a deeper discussion on ESD and provided a brief introduction on emerging AI technologies in education. The conference facilitated a robust action-oriented dialogue on ESD, AI, and the role and readiness of teachers by providing a multi stakeholder platform for secondary/high schools and vocational school teachers, researchers, policy makers and EdTech leaders to:
- Raise awareness and build knowledge on the topic “Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and AI: The Role and Readiness of Teachers” as an integrative element in teaching and learning in secondary, high, and vocational school education, through case-studies and practical tools
- Encourage schools to join an active Asia-Europe network and to initiate collaboration and support for creating holistic and timely relevant future learning environments
- Suggest policy recommendations based on discussions on ESD and AI during the conference to education policy makers and governments for better integration of ESD into school curricula with the help of AI tools.