How can YOUth shape Society?
WHAT IS #ASEFYLS5
The ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS) is a Youth platform that connects young people with the Heads of States and Governments from Asian & European countries and the political Leaders of the EU & the ASEAN Secretariat.
The 5th ASEF Young Leaders Summit (ASEFYLS5) takes place from June to December 2023. It focuses on the theme of ‘Leadership & Society 5.0’ and incorporates 3 spheres for youth leadership: 1) self-leadership (you), 2) team leadership (we) and 3) societal leadership (all).
The 5th edition was a hybrid project with collaborative elements taking place online, Singapore and in Salamanca, Spain.
It aims to give #Youth the opportunity to:
- Receive a certified course/training by world-leading institutions on both Leadership and Society 5.0
- Each bring their enthusiasm, knowledge and skills to collaborate in diverse groups to propose solutions to real-life challenges facing society
- Bring the youth voice into the multilateral policy arena and contribute to decision-making. Be part of and even featured in the ASEM-wide Youth Leadership Report
- Have the rare chance to interact with Asian and European Leaders and Decision-makers to present the youth voice and even have the once-in-a lifetime opportunity to moderate a Youth Dialogue with a Head of State or Government!
- Have access to and become a member of the Asian and European youth community opening doors for cross-regional collaboration and exchange.
WHAT WILL #ASEFYLS5 OFFER?
The ASEFYLS5 programme consists of 3 phases:
1. Knowledge Building: August 2023, Virtual
We invite youth to an in-depth knowledge journey and peer-to-peer exploration into Asia-Europe relations, Leadership and Society 5.0, with a certified course and training. This phase will be a 4-5 week-long online programme with weekly sessions.
2. Youth Summit: 11-16 September 2023, Salamanca, Spain
The Youth Summit will physically bring together over 120 participants to engage in people-to-people dialogue exchanges, networking and learning in a local context in Salamanca, Spain. The 4-days-long onsite programme will take place between 12-16 September 2023 in Salamanca, Spain, hosted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Spain, Casa Asia and the University of Salamanca.
3. Leadership in Action: September – December 2023, Virtual
Participants will turn theory into action and work together collaboratively to find solutions for real-life challenge based on the ASEFYLS5 themes. The solutions will be presented at an online closing ceremony in December.
The above 3 elements are prefaced with a Navigators Training: June 2023, Singapore (tbc).
The Navigators are alumni from ASEF’s Education Department and partner organisations who will join the programme as resource persons. The Navigators Training brings the Navigators together for 3-4 days for capacity building in preparation for their subsequent roles.
WHO CAN JOIN #ASEFYLS5?
ASEFYLS5 is open to over 120 students and young professionals from across over 50 Asian and European countries, from diverse academic disciplines and professional backgrounds.
Participants will be selected through an Open Call for Application process.
Sign up to our mailing list below to be the first to hear when the Open Call is launched!