Eleven experts from ASEM countries met to discuss the question: â€œHow do regional communities in Europe and East Asia help to build/rebuild democracy in post-conflict countries?â€ This had been suggested as a possible topic for the 5th Asia-Europe Roundtable in 2007.
The Preparatory Meeting was held over two days, and participants focused on defining the terms relevant to the topic and identifying the different actors and steps involved in building peace and democracy. Topics discussed included:
– The process of peace-building
– Reconstructing institutions after armed conflict has ended
– The involvement of regional institutions
– Official Development Aid (ODA)
– The role of the international NGOs and the local community in this process
The meeting resulted in a preliminary agenda with indications of potential speakers and possible participants for the 5th Asia-Europe Roundtable.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
Friedrich-Ebert-Foundation Office (FES) for Regional Cooperation in Southeast Asia
Singapore Institute for International Affairs (SIIA)