The ASEF Public Diplomacy Training (ASEFPDT) combines participatory online learning and face-to-face interactions facilitated by public diplomacy experts and trainers. The modules are designed to keep participants abreast of new developments in the field through peer-to-peer learning, analysing case studies and designing strategic campaigns.
ASEFPDT Alumni are encouraged to apply the practical skills they acquired through the online course and the face-to-face training in their work to increase foreign and domestic publics’ awareness of the ASEM Process and ASEF.
Since its inception in 2013, ASEF has co-organised 9 tutored online courses and 7 face-to-face collaborations, across Asia and Europe, benefitting more than 400 diplomats and civil servants from 52 ASEM Partners. In 2020, a webinar series was launched as a sub-component of the Training, which covered topics on cybersecurity, crisis management and culminated in the publication of the 2nd edition of the ASEF Public Diplomacy Handbook.
This year marks the 10th anniversary of the ASEF Public Diplomacy Training a meaningful milestone for the cross-continental project series. ASEF and it’s partners are honoured to be hosted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Hungary for this special commemorative occasion.
The primary objective of the online course is to enhance the participants’ skills to listen, understand, exchange views, collaborate and deliver an effective message to shape public perception and opinion in the context of Asia-Europe relations.
After completing the online course, participants are expected to:
- Gain deeper knowledge of public perceptions of Asia and Europe, bi-regional dynamics, and how these affect their work as diplomats and civil servants.
- Increase their understanding of contemporary public diplomacy.
- Identify tools and strategies to increase the visibility of the ASEM Process.
- Identify, map and engage with key decision-, policy- and opinion-makers and shapers (state and non-state actors).
- Gain practical skills to formulate, develop and deliver effective public diplomacy campaigns to promote ASEM to foreign and domestic public.
- Increase networking opportunity for ASEM diplomats to share their experiences and promote deeper understanding of Asia-Europe relations.
STRUCTURE & CONTENT
10th ASEFPDT – Online Course (September – October 2022)
The online component of ASEFPDT10 is designed and managed by DiploFoundation. Participants will read the provided lecture text, adding questions, comments and references in the form of hypertext entries on an online training platform. The course methodology is based on collaborative approach to learning, which means that the trainers and other participants will read and respond to these entries, creating interactions based on the lecture text.
All course activities are asynchronous so that participants can take care of these activities whenever it is convenient for them. The only fixed activity is the one-hour long weekly session where trainers and participants will meet in either a chat room or a Zoom meeting room to discuss the weekly topic.Focus time required per week over the course of 8 weeks: 4 hours (including a chat session).
More information on the individual online training modules will be published soon.
NOTE: Only participants who have successfully completed the online course will be admitted to the 10th Face-to-face training in November 2022. This approach will boost participation and a greater exchange of information among participants.
10th ASEFPDT – Face-to-Face Training (November 2022)
The Face-to-face training functions as an intensive skills-oriented module that focuses on the practical interaction between the selected participants. Over the span of 5 days and with the help of professional trainers with a background in public diplomacy, the participants will expand the knowledge they acquired through the online course.
In addition, a cultural tour will be arranged, as well as an experts’ roundtable discussion will be organised.
More information on the individual physical training modules will be published soon.
- Early-/mid-career diplomats in departments dealing with Asia, Europe, or ASEM in the Ministries of Foreign Affairs or equivalent of the ASEM Partners
- Early-/mid-career diplomats posted by ASEM Partners to ASEM countries who are dealing with public diplomacy
EXPECTED PROFILES OF CANDIDATES
- MA degree, or equivalent, or BA degree with at least 3 years of diplomatic working experience
- Currently working in the Asia-Europe context
- High proficiency in English
- Interest in public diplomacy, public affairs or communications
- Submissions of nominations by ASEM Ministries of Foreign Affairs should be sent to ASEF’s project coordinator (see “CONTACT” below) via e-mail, stating the name, designation and e-mail address of the candidate; and put the Governance & Sustainable Development Department in copy.
- Candidates are required to submit a CV and a motivation letter, detailing the applicant’s interest and desire to take part in the Training. Kindly take note that motivation plays an important role in selecting the participants.
- Selected participants will later be asked to fill out an online registration form.
No registration or participation fee. The organisers will cover all training fees.
Ms Nur A’in ABD RAZAK, Project Executive, Governance & Economy Department, Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) (E: email@example.com); Governance & Economy Department (firstname.lastname@example.org)