2016 marks the 20th Anniversary of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM). On this occasion, the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF), as the only institution created under the ASEM Process, presents a collection of photographs to visualise Asian and European perceptions of people on the move. The ASEF photo competition-cum-exhibition, aims to promote one of the key elements of ASEF’s mandate: better understanding between Asia and Europe through people-to-people connections.
The photographs selected for the exhibition were shortlisted from a photo competition, undertaken by ASEF in 2015. Photographers from 50 ASEM partner countries submitted over 1,500 entries capturing on-the-go scenes. The competition theme reflected the motion and pace of life in Asia and Europe, illustrating moments where we are different and yet, so alike. The competition was judged by a panel of experts, chaired by LASALLE College of the Arts, Singapore.
Photography is a powerful medium that can communicate ideas across borders and speak universally to a wide multi-cultural and multilingual audience. By inviting professional and budding photographers to portray Asians and Europeans in their daily life, we hope to highlight the diversities as well as similarities between the lives in the two regions.
The photographs are being exhibited in several capitals in Asia and Europe including Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, at the 11th ASEM Summit (ASEM11) in July 2016.
ASEF Partners hosting ASEF Photo Exhibition “On the Go” :
- Thailand: ASEM 20th Anniversary Mini-Exhibition in Bangkok, in collaboration with the Centre for European Studies, Chulalongkorn University, on 1-6 March and 14-18 March 2016
- Switzerland: ASEM 20th Anniversary Celebration in Bern on 1 March 2016
- Netherlands: ASEM 20th Anniversary, ASEF Photo Exhibition in Hague @Atrium Den Haag, on 1-11 March 2016
- Lithuania: ASEM 20th Anniversary, ASEF Photo Exhibition in Vilnius, on 21 March to 15 April 2016
- Viet Nam: ASEM 20th Anniversary Photo Exhibition alongside Conference on Enhancing the Comprehensive Asia – Europe Partnership in the 21st Century in Ha Noi, on 20 April 2016
- China: ASEM 20th Anniversary Photo Exhibition alongside ASEM Media Dialogue on Connectivity in Guangzhou, on 9-10 May 2016
- Singapore: ASEF Photo Exhibition at LASALLE College of the Arts, June – July 2016, and at National Library Board of Singapore Public Libraries, August December 2016
- Belgium: ASEM 20th Anniversary, ASEF Photo Exhibition, organised by the European Union (UN) in Brussel’s EU headquarters, 14 June – 16 July 2016
- Indoensia: ASEM 20th Anniversary, ASEF Photo Exhibition, organised by the ASEAN Secretariat, 1-31 July 2016
- Mongolia: ASEM 20th Anniversary, ASEF Photo Exhibition, along side 1th ASEM Summit (ASEM11), 7-16 July 2016
- United States of America: The Spirit of Eurasia Photography & Arts Exhibition at the United Nations in New York, on 13-25 June & 11-16 July 2016
- Slovakia: ASEM 20th Anniversary Photo Exhibition in Bratislava @ Pedestrian Promenade, on 6-30 September 2016
- Bulgaria: ASEM 20th Anniversary Photo Exhibition alongside 5th Sustainable Development Dialogue in Ruse, 1-3 December 2016