ASEF takes the lead in the ASEF Public Diplomacy Training (ASEFPDT) and collaborates with the DiploFoundation of Switzerland, supported by the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland. Over the years, ASEF has partnered with Asian and European diplomatic academies for the delivery of the face-to-face component of the Training. The programme of the Training utilises the contents of the ASEF Public Diplomacy Handbook (2016 edition), which provides practical information on strengthening public diplomacy efforts among the ASEM Partners. This is complemented with intellectual contributions from senior diplomats, professional trainers, academics, and media and communications specialists.
Since the introduction of the webinar series as a sub-component of the Training in 2020, ASEFPDT has expanded its outreach, making a significant stride in building networks of diplomats, civil servants and other professionals in Asia and Europe.
Moreover, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands has also provided support for the project.
23 August – 14 October 2021
The Online Course, which is one of the two primary components of the Training project, will be implemented between August and October 2021. The modules will be updated to reflect the current global crisis and the teaching methods will be adjusted to encourage greater participation.
A Call for Nominations among Ministries of Foreign Affairs, diplomatic consulates and embassies, and international organisations will be launched in July 2021.
The objective of the online course is to enhance the participants’ skills to listen, understand, exchange views, collaborate and deliver an effective message to shape public perception and opinion in the context of Asia-Europe relations.
After completing the online course, participants are expected to:
- Gain deeper knowledge of public perceptions of Asia and Europe, bi-regional dynamics, and how these affect their work as young diplomats and civil servants;
- Increase their understanding of contemporary public diplomacy;
- Identify tools and strategies to increase the visibility of the ASEM Process;
- Identify, map and engage with key decision-, policy- and opinion-makers and shapers (state and non-state actors);
- Gain practical skills to formulate, develop and deliver effective public diplomacy campaigns to promote ASEM to foreign and domestic public;
- Increase networking opportunity for ASEM diplomats to share their experiences and promote deeper understanding of Asia-Europe relations.
- Early-/mid-career diplomats in departments dealing with Asia, Europe, or ASEM in the Ministries of Foreign Affairs or equivalent of the ASEM Partners
- Early-/mid-career diplomats posted by ASEM Partners to ASEM countries who are dealing with public diplomacy
Workshop on Climate Negotiations and Public Diplomacy
15 November – 2 December 2021
Our previous training sessions on diplomatic negotiation has been consistently rated high among participants since 2016. Diplomatic negotiation is also a recurring requested topic in our informal and formal surveys with participants.
Following our trail of successes on this topic, we will hold another workshop on negotiation, with a focus on how it can serve as a function of public diplomacy.
The objectives of the Diplomatic Negotiations Workshop are to increase participants’ knowledge on diplomatic negotiations in the context of Asia and Europe, as well as to provide practical guidance on new negotiations strategies.
The training will be targeted at 15-20 early to mid-career diplomats (3−10 years relevant work experience) from across the ASEM Partners. Those applicants who qualified for the Online Course should apply separately for the workshop. ASEF will launch the call for application, shortlist and select the participants based on their experience and suitability for the workshop.
- Session 1: “Basic Principles of Diplomatic Negotiation” – Monday, 15 November 2021
- Session 2: “Preparation and Sequencing” – Thursday, 18 November 2021
- Session 3: “Power and alternatives” – Monday, 22 November 2021
- Session 4: “Public Diplomacy and the Two-Level Game” – Monday, 29 November 2021
- Session 5: “Multilateral Negotiations” – Wednesday 1 December 2021
- Session 6: “Climate Negotiation Simulation” – Thursday, 2 December 2021
Diplomacy 4.0: A Mentoring Programme on Digital Diplomacy
December 2021-April 2022
The ASEFPDT Mentoring Programme is curated for diplomats who have recently joined the foreign service (preferably with 0-3 years of work experience). Participants are matched via a formal set-up (Asia-Europe tandem) over the course of 10 weeks. Every two weeks, all participants will attend a series of lectures related to public diplomacy and will work on assignments with their regional counterpart. Experts and practitioners will be invited as training mentors/lecturers.