The ASEF Public Diplomacy Training (ASEFPDT) combines participatory online learning and face-to-face interactions facilitated by public diplomacy experts and trainers. The modules are designed to keep participants abreast of new developments in the field through peer-to-peer learning, analysing case studies and designing strategic campaigns.
ASEFPDT Alumni are encouraged to apply the practical skills they acquired through the online course and the face-to-face training in their work to increase foreign and domestic publics’ awareness of the ASEM Process and ASEF.
Since its inception in 2013, ASEF has co-organised 7 tutored online courses and 7 face-to-face collaborations, across Asia and Europe, benefitting more than 250 junior diplomats and civil servants from 52 ASEM Partners.
In light of the recent global COVID-19 pandemic, the Online Course component of ASEFPDT will be complemented with a specialised virtual workshop series instead of the usual physical training.
Online Course (23 October to 17 December 2020) – The online component of ASEFPDT8 is designed and managed by DiploFoundation. The modules designed by the training organisation are the following:
Module 1. Public diplomacy: Concepts and methods
Module 2. The changing face of Asia-Europe relations
Module 3. Images and perceptions in public diplomacy
Module 4. Using digital tools and social media in public diplomacy
Module 5. Non-state actors in public diplomacy
Module 6. How to manage a public diplomacy campaign
(The first week is about Course Introduction & Orientation and the final week is allocated for the Final Assignment.)
Specialised Virtual Workshop Series (February 2021) – Participants who have successfully completed the Online Course will have special access to the exclusive ASEFPDT Virtual Workshop Series. The workshops will be led and facilitated by key experts in the fields of public diplomacy, communications and international relations. The topics we are exploring include crisis communications, intercultural communication and diplomatic negotiations. These topics are subject to changes.
Through the Online Course and the Specialised Virtual Workshop Series, participants will gain insights into the current public diplomacy efforts in Asia and Europe and how to elevate their public diplomacy skills to be relevant to the current needs. The specific objectives are to:
- Enable participants to deepen their knowledge of public perceptions of Asia and Europe, bi-regional dynamics, and how these impact the intent and design of their mission;
- Provide practical skills to formulate, develop and deliver effective public diplomacy campaigns and programs to promote the ASEM Process through real-life examples and case studies; and
- Increase networking opportunities for ASEM diplomats, government officials and civil society actors to exchange best practices and promote deeper understanding of AsiaEurope relations.
TARGET PARTICIPANTS (up to 30 participants)
- Early-/mid-career diplomats in departments dealing with Asia, Europe, or ASEM in the Ministries of Foreign Affairs or equivalent of the ASEM Partners
- Early-/mid-career diplomats posted by ASEM Partners to ASEM countries who are dealing with public diplomacy
EXPECTED PROFILES OF CANDIDATES
- MA degree, or equivalent, or BA degree with at least 3 years of diplomatic working experience
- Currently working in the Asia-Europe context
- High proficiency in English
- Interest in public diplomacy, public affairs or communications
- Submissions of nominations by ASEM Ministries of Foreign Affairs should be sent to ASEF’s project coordinator (see “CONTACT” below) via e-mail, stating the name, position and email address of the candidate.
- Candidates are required to submit a CV and a motivation letter, detailing the applicant’s interest and desire to take part in the Training. Letters should be addressed to Dr Yannick BINEAU, Director, Governance & Economy Department, ASEF. (Kindly take note that motivation plays an important role in selecting the participants.)
- Selected participants will later be asked to fill out an online registration form.
- Deadline of submissions: Thursday, 15 October 2020, 23:59 SGT
- Notification of selected participants: Tuesday, 20 October 2020
No registration or participation fee. The organisers will cover all training fees.
Ms Trishia OCTAVIANO, Project Executive, Governance & Economy Department, Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) (E: firstname.lastname@example.org)