What is #ASEFInnoLab about?
The ASEF Innovation Laboratory (ASEFInnoLab) titled Universities’ Role in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (AI) Innovation Ecosystems provides opportunity for participants to exchange good practices, co-create new ideas and explore areas for collaboration among their institutions. This first ASEFInnoLab is an 8-week long online project, to bring together university managers, administrators and academics to discuss strategies to enhance their universities’ role in the development of artificial intelligence innovation ecosystems. In particular, it will tackle the following two topics:
1 | Teaching and Entrepreneurship for AI Innovation Ecosystems
2 | Research and Technology Transfer in AI Innovation Ecosystems
How do participants benefit from #ASEFInnoLab?
Upon successful completion of the programme, participants will walk away with:
ENHANCED UNDERSTANDING OF AI INNOVATION ECOSYSTEMS
The lab will help participants to understand the role of higher education institutions in AI innovation ecosystems and expand their knowledge on different strategies to boost their universities’ contribution to ecosystems.
ACTION PLANS TO GET AHEAD OF CHANGE
Participants will develop their own action plans to enhance existing strategies and practices at their home institutions to unlock the full potential of their own university.
PEER SUPPORT NETWORK
We fully expect new bi-lateral and multi-lateral partnerships emerging among the 25 participants from different countries across Asia and Europe.
OPPORTUNITY TO CO-DESIGN PROJECTS WITH FUDAN UNIVERSITY
Two participants of ASEFInnoLab will have the opportunity to co-design and launch a joint project with Fudan University, funding will be provided to conduct exchanges.
Who should apply?
We envision the involvement of 25 participants from across the 51 ASEM countries to join the ASEFInnoLab and work together over a period of 8 weeks. Applicants should meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Citizens of any of the 51 ASEM partner countries
- Strong command of English (written and verbal)
- Managers, administrators or academics in charge of initiatives related to the #ASEFInnoLab topics
Participation does not require technical or coding abilities. The Lab will focus on the managerial and organizational aspects of data science and AI innovation ecosystems.
What topics and how will be discussed?
The Lab will be organised entirely virtual between 25 March – 13 May 2021, tackling the following topics:
Week1: Artificial Intelligence, What It Is, What It Is Not
Week2: Universities’ Role in Innovation Ecosystems
Week3: Governing AI Innovation Ecosystems
Week4: Teaching and Skill Needs of AI Innovation Ecosystems
Week5: Advancing Student Entrepreneurship in the AI Age
Week6: Research and Industry Relations in AI Innovation Ecosystems
Week7: Technology Transfer to Businesses in AI Innovation Ecosystems
Week8: Wrap up, Presentation of Action Plans of Participants
- Take a look at the Draft Programme and confirmed speakers here
- It is an 8-week engagement and requires participants to set aside approximately 4 hours every week to prepare for and participate in the sessions.
- Live sessions will be organised on Thursdays between 8.00-10.00AM GMT (morning in Europe, afternoon in Asia), allowing for real-time conversation with renowned subject matter experts, university leaders in the field of AI and innovation ecosystems and collaborative work with peers.
- The facilitated lab combines self-paced study elements such as readings, videos, case studies, with collaborative learning elements such as live online presentations, group exercises, tailored to the challenges that participants define to work on.
ASEFInnoLab is accessible to all participants. The organisers do not discriminate any applicant or participant on the basis of his or her race, national origin (ancestry), colour, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, disability, religion (creed), marital status, or age.
There is no registration or participation fee.