In 2018, the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF) Public Health Network and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan are co-hosting a multi-country, High-level Meeting focusing on Universal Health Coverage (UHC) in relation to effective management of infectious diseases including possible future pandemic as well as Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR).
The overall aim of this High-level Meeting is to facilitate agreement between governments and other stakeholders on practical actions to ensure access to effective treatment of infectious diseases, while reducing the risk of the emergence of AMR. The specific objectives are:
- To bring together officials with responsibilities for AMR and UHC and other stakeholders to explore the challenges they face in both ensuring access to antibiotic treatment, when needed, and reducing the risk of AMR;
- To identify practical strategies for integrating a concern for AMR into strategies for making progress towards UHC and for taking UHC strategies into account in national action plans for addressing AMR
- To agree on priorities for international cooperation between Asia and Europe to support an equitable and sustainable approach for addressing the challenge of infectious diseases.
The High-level Meeting will address 3 target audiences: 1) Senior-level health officials who are working in the area of UHC and/or AMR and 2) Officials whose duty is related to pandemic preparedness and response 3) Private company representatives who have an involvement in the production, suppy and use of antibiotics. More specifically:
- Senior-level officials, advisors, and/or other decision-makers from ASEM Partners’ Ministry of Health or equivalent who work in the area of UHC and/or AMR
- Chief/directors of ASEM Partners’ national health agencies or equivalent who work in the area of UHC or AMR
- Senior-level from ASEM Partners’ Ministries of Finance, and Foreign Affairs
- Representatives of international organisations, NGOs
- Representatives of private sectors whose work is closely related to AMR, such as pharmaceutical industries
Date and Location
This High-level Meeting will take place on 30-31 May 2018 in Tokyo, Japan.
External Cooperation for This Meeting
The planning of this meeting was developed in cooperation with the Coordination Office of Measures on Emerging Infectious Diseases, Cabinet Secretariat, the Government of Japan, the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare Japan, and Wellcome Trust.